Frequently Asked Questions

For over 50 years, we have been assisting clients in probate court avoidance, will contests, and estate plans, as well as helping Executors navigate the legal process of administering an estate.  

Do I need an attorney to probate an estate?

If your loved one did not leave a will, the Ohio Revised Code will dictate who inherits.  If your loved one did leave a will, you will need help in gathering the information required in preparing the numerous forms which are required.

Do I need a Durable Power of Attorney?

Everyone should have a Durable Power of Attorney as this will enable your attorney-in-fact to handle your financial affairs in the event you would suffer a stroke and/or be unable to handle them yourself.  This also helps avoid having someone appointed the guardian of your estate.

Do I need a Healthcare Power of Attorney?

In naming someone to make health care decisions for you, in the event you are unable to, is necessary for you to continue to receive the healthcare you need and maintain your quality of life; and to avoid having to go to probate court to have a guardian appointed.

Do I need a Living Will?

This Advance Directive permits your named agent to make end of life decisions in the event you become permanently unconscious or terminally ill.

We also provide Medicaid planning advice in order for you to preserve as many assets as possible.


The Law Office of Gerald L. Baker, is committed to answering your questions about estate planning, elderlaw, probate issues, business law and commercial real estate in Canton and North Canton and throughout Stark County, Carroll County, Tuscarawas County, and Summit County.